Talking is part of literacy too! Debate is a great activity for students to practice talking. Plus, students can take the skills that they learn for supporting their point during debate and apply it to their writing. Not to mention that many middle school students just love to argue. With that in mind, here are 15 fun debate topics to try in your middle school classroom this year.
- Students should be required to wear uniforms at school.
- Cell phones should not be allowed on the school premises.
- Students should not be allowed to have cell phones until they are 16.
- The driving age should be lowered to 14.
- The driving age should be raised to 18.
- School should run from 10 am – 4:30 pm.
- Students should get Fridays off from school.
- Students should get paid to go to school.
- Students should do at least an hour of homework every night.
- There shouldn’t be any testing in schools.
- School should run from 8:30am to noon.
- All students should get a computer to use at school.
- Post-secondary education should be free.
- Schools should provide lunch for all students.
- Students should be required to learn a musical instrument in school.
Pick one or two of these that your students will particularly enjoy debating and use them in your classroom! Let me know how they went in the comments below.